Friday, September 19, 2008

Cinderella - New Version

I once knew of this girl who lived a happy childhood with her loving father. She was content with the life that she had, blessed with wealth, a decent status and most of all, love. Some would say it was almost perfect.

It wasn't long until her father remarried to a woman who already had two daughters of her own. Cinderella was extremely happy for him, happy that he had found love again. But, what she didn't know was that her new stepmother would be the reason for her future misery.

Cinderella's perfect life came crumbling down the day her father passed away. She lost her only real family that day, her best friend. She was left with her stepmother and her stepsisters who didn't treat her the way they should.

I watched over her and witnessed all the suffering she went through after her father died. She stayed humble and patient and carried on being the same nice, young girl that she was despite all of this, taking on responsibilities that she didn't deserve. She was no longer considered part of the family and was treated more like a slave. That was until there came a time when I could grant her a wish that would change her life forever.

-Fairy Godmother

Cinderella's Diary

It's the same everyday. I wake up at the crack of dawn and cook my stepmother and sisters a hearty breakfast. I clean the kitchen and the entire house and I live entirely on what they expect of me. Their orders, no matter how difficult, I still carry out just to please them.

I feel like I don't exist as a member of this family. I only exist to serve them and keep them happy. How long am I supposed to live like this? Until when am I going to stop suffering for them?

At times like these, I wish my father is still here with me. I remember when my life used to be a lot easier. Looking back, that seems like that was a different lifetime, a different me. When my father was around, I was his princess and he was the perfect dad.

Today, things weren't the same. I woke up to the sound of trumpets and galloping horses. I looked out of the tiny window of my bedroom, which I share with all the other maids in the house and saw royal messengers stood outside. As I listened, a formal announcement was made. A ball. All women from every household who are eligible to marry the prince have to attend.

A dance with the prince would be a dream come true. My dream was shattered not long after when my stepmother confronted me and told me I would not be going. Now, I'm lost on what to do. I wish I could go. If only...

Little did Cinderella know that I was on my way. On my way to make her wish come true.

The story is unfinished but shown below is the plan showing our different ideas as to what the next chapters would contain. We decided to make each chapter different, telling the story from several different characters' points of view.

- Ugly Sisters (a conversation about how excited they are about the ball and laughing about locking Cinderella up so that she can't go)

- Cinderella's Diary (transformation with her fairy godmother)

- Prince (account of what happened at the ball)

- Fairy Godmother (conclusion of story)
by: Olivia, Chloe and Clarisse

No comments: